MSc. Food Quality Management (IDL)
Main page content
About the Programme
The programme is designed for candidates with requisite qualifications who are already working in the food sector. The goal is to enable candidates understand the scope of total quality management and ISO based quality systems (quality management, quality design, quality control, quality improvement, quality assurance, and quality policy and business strategy). It is expected that the training shall build the skills of candidates in understanding consumers’ behaviour, maintaining quality and improving safety in food industries.
The programme shall also provide the technological, scientific and managerial skills needed for graduates wishing to follow career prospects in food quality management in businesses, research and public administration. Finally, students will develop the skills required to develop problem-based learning approaches together with critical thinking skills.
A good First Degree, preferably 2nd Class Lower Division or better in Food Science and Technology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Nutrition Science, Biology, Agricultural Engineering or Chemical Engineering or any closely related science or technology BSc programme from a recognized university.
Also a higher level professional qualification or an advanced degree and relevant work experience in food related establishment could be considered where applicants have not reached the standard entry requirements, though every applicant is assessed individually on their own merit through interview.
Mode of Course Delivery
The programme is offered through distance education, a learning oriented system allowing greater flexibility in learning while students continue with their regular professional work. The programme is offered in a mixed mode format. This approach uses print and electronic media in order to be responsive to the needs of the learner and also maximize the use of technology in course delivery.
At the heart of the programme is excellent online learning materials developed by capable and competent resource persons from KNUST and other recognized institutions.
Academic Support Systems
Limited face-to-face facilitated sessions are provided at all the Learning Centres. These sessions are supported by print and electronic materials, and local learning facilitators who also support and direct students as they work through the resources provided.
The Centres provide learning support to students living in different parts of the country, thus reducing travel expenses.
Why Choose Distance Learning @ KNUST-IDL
¨ Flexible enough to allow you fit your study around work, social or family commitments
¨ Excellent networking opportunities as limited face to face session allow you to meet professionals from all sectors of life.
¨ Sessions are facilitated by well-endowed, experienced and practicing professionals in industry and academia
¨ Excellent facilities to promote E-learning through the Virtual Classroom
¨ Online Library Support – accessible anywhere and provision of online videos and course materials
- 1. KUMASI- The Office of the Director, IDL, New Examination Block, KNUST Campus. Tel. 0247-274661, 0500-482885
- 2. ACCRA, Catholic Institute of Business & Technology (CBIT), Adabraka, (formally, Social Advance Institute). Contact Mr Adu Brenya/Michael on 0500-482875 or KNUST Accra City Campus, Kwabenya, Contact Mathias on 0500-482876
Application Procedures/How to Apply
Online application e-Vouchers can be obtained at the following places: All IDL Centres, Ecobank, GCB, hfc Bank, Unibank and Fidelity Bank. E-Vouchers may be purchased by Bankers draft payable to Institute of Distance Learning (IDL).
Applicants MUST follow carefully the instructions on the e-Voucher.
- All Applicants are to visit http://admissions.knust.edu.gh (admission portal) and complete an online application using the e-voucher provided. Two copies of the completed online application forms should be printed and posted in an enclosed self-addressed EMS envelope to: THE DIRECTOR, INSTITUTE OF DISTANCE LEARNING, KNUST, KUMASI, GHANA. This should be together with All Relevant Certificates and other required documents.
- Applicants must include in their Application Forms, Certified True Copies of their certificates and two (2) Referees Report
- Applicants Must Ensure That They Purchase Distance Learning Forms Not Regular School Forms To Avoid Complication.
- Only Results and/or documents provided by applicants at the time of submission shall be considered.
For more Information, Please Visit: www.idl.knust.edu.gh or CALL: 0247-274661, 0500-482885
PLEASE NOTE: Programmes would be mounted depending on the number of qualified applicants and only at Centres with the requisite number of qualified applicants. Please contact Main IDL Office for details.